Kara was diagnosed with food protein induced enterocolitis syndrome (FPIES) in August of 2010. She has had many FPIES reactions and complications that have lead to numerous hospitalizations and specialist appointments. It was a huge sigh of relief to finally have some answers and a diagnosis, however we have to remind ourselves daily that this is a very serious disease and this is only the beginning of the long road we have in front of us.

Wednesday, October 13, 2010


Lots has happened in the last 36 hours or so, so this may take a few posts! The good news is that we are home and Kara is doing well.

Our night went smooth. Kara slept until 2:45 which was perfect since she could have a bottle up until 3:30. She drank a bottle and went right back to sleep. She woke up about 5:45 and was ready for her day! We packed up and made the walk down to the U since it was so beautiful outside!

We got Kara all registered and they took her back to preop. She's such a good little patient! She let them check her all out and was a total ham. We had the whole team come in and introduce themselves to us and did questions and answers back and forth. By whole team, I mean the preop nurses, the anesthesiologist, her student, the nurse anesthetist, her student, and the OR nurses. We were explained numerous times that the drugs they use for infants cause them to come out of the anesthesia very quickly so they have a really hard time with it - they are usually very agitated and can stay like that for a few hours. They didn't want us to be surprised if that was the outcome of Kara. They let us know that because of her allergy history they would be using as little as possible of each drug and made special notes to not let anyone feed her but us so she wouldn't get any juice or something she can't have. They had a big sticker on her chart!
She got to play in the toy room while we went about all of this and had a lot of fun!

Her surgery time was 9:30 and the time from 9:00 until then seemed like an eternity. Kara started getting really tired and actually put her head down on my shoulder to fall asleep! We talked with the OR Nurse and decided to hand her off before walking into the OR so she'd have no idea. This was working out better than we could have planned it! We did the hand off without as much as a stir from Kara and off they went! We knew we had roughly an hour before she'd be back because they had to intubate her because of her age and size and explained that even though the procedure itself would take about 20-30 minutes, everything else takes a lot longer. With that, we watched the nurse walk down the hall and we turned our backs to head the other way to go find some breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment