Kara was diagnosed with food protein induced enterocolitis syndrome (FPIES) in August of 2010. She has had many FPIES reactions and complications that have lead to numerous hospitalizations and specialist appointments. It was a huge sigh of relief to finally have some answers and a diagnosis, however we have to remind ourselves daily that this is a very serious disease and this is only the beginning of the long road we have in front of us.

Thursday, August 19, 2010

15 Month Check Up

Kara is on Day SIX of feeling good and NO icky diapers! This is amazing. For some reason though, she is broken out in eczema again. I'm blaming this on the sticky weather and crossing my fingers it's not from the corn products she's been eating.

Tomorrow I am home, my usual Friday off with the girls. I am planning on introducing banana into her diet tomorrow if everything goes as planned. I'm anxious to get a little variety into her diet.

Today Kara had her 15 month check up. She GREW! She's 21 pound, 6 oz. She went from the 22nd percentile at 12 months to the 28th percentile at 15 months! She's in the 45th percentile for height-weight ratio. She's doing great. I think it's the 30 + ounces of Neocate that she's drinking in a day lately! We talked about how she just started walking and she doesn't have many words yet. There's a few other minor things that she's delayed on. I keep saying she's so baby yet and this went to show it. I need to "toughen up" with her, that's for sure!

We discussed her 12 months shots at full length. Each time we've been in she's been too sick to get them and we didn't want to add anything else to the mix. I was prepared to say no, and to hold them off a little longer but as we talked, I decided I didn't want to keep delaying them.. The MMR has egg in it and I talked about how I'm nervous about this because even though her scratch and rast tests came up negative for egg, the GI Dr still wants egg to be at the bottom of our "maybe" list. In the end I decided to have her get both shots. Now I'll be watching her like a hawk and re-thinking the banana trial.

We got another prescription for Elidel for this eczema that I can't seem to clear up as well as a prescription for her bottom. It's a mixture that would be used on colostomy patients since she breaks open right away when she has a reaction and with the upcoming food trials, this could be happening more often that not. (Hopefully not though.)I believe it's a mixture of a yeast med, some kind of stoma cream and aquafor. So, we'll have this ready to go in case it's needed.

We also talked about the bottle. Our specialists have said not to worry about taking the bottle away since she needs the Neocate but the doctor today said to start trying a straw sippy - maybe she'll take to that better than a sippy since she won't touch Neocate out of a sippy cup. I think I'll look at some at the store tonight but I'm not convinced we need to even begin to take it away since she's finally thriving!

All in all, it was good. We HOPE not to be back until her 18 month check up. We need to work on a few things but she's growing so that's all that matters at this point!

No comments:

Post a Comment