Kara was diagnosed with food protein induced enterocolitis syndrome (FPIES) in August of 2010. She has had many FPIES reactions and complications that have lead to numerous hospitalizations and specialist appointments. It was a huge sigh of relief to finally have some answers and a diagnosis, however we have to remind ourselves daily that this is a very serious disease and this is only the beginning of the long road we have in front of us.

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Family Fun

I've been meaning to get on here and update over the last few weeks but Kara had been doing so well, that I really didn't have much to update on! No news is good news, right? We made it about three weeks with no travelling and Kara was successfully able to tolerate potato and sweet potato! We had a wonderful Thanksgiving and most recently, made a trip to the cities for a fun, family trip.

We received a gift certificate from the local Holiday Inn Express for our family down in the cities to use for a trip down there for fun when they donated water park passes to Kara's benefit. Realizing earlier last week that it expired at the end of the year, we decided that last weekend was the perfect time, before the crazy holidays start, to take this trip! We had our shopping done early, Kara had been doing great, and we were ready for a little family vacation!

We left Thursday afternoon. We got a later start because everything was taking longer than I had anticipated. We finally were able to pick the girls up from daycare and head out! We were about ten miles down the road when I realized I forgot the girls swim suits and we had to run back to the house. We turned around and not too much after that Kara threw up! She ended up fine, I figured it was from her sticking her fingers in her mouth and gagging herself. (she ALWAYS has her fingers in her mouth!!) We ran in the house and got her cleaned up and then once we were convinced she was ok, got back on the road again.

Friday we had a wonderful day. We got to the Children's Museum right as the opened and spent a few hours there. I think we all had a lot of fun there! The girls were pretty amazed at all the cool things there was for them to do! After that we decided to go to Mall of America. Both girls napped in the car during the short ride there but it was enough to rally them for the next stop! We walked around and decided to go to Nickelodeon Adventures first, to wear them out. We were checking out the ride prices and a guy stopped us offering us a ticket with 100 points on it for less than a quarter of the price so we took him up on it! Little did we know how long it would take us to use up 100 points! The girls went on ride after ride, loving all of it! We used up our tickets, finally, and decided to go back to the hotel. I think Brian and I were more tired than the girls were!

We had a great time and created lots of memories that day. We were thinking about heading to the Holidazzle Parade or just staying in and ordering pizza. We were all pretty wiped out and Kara was  feeling a little off and clingy but seemed ok. She barely had an aappetite all day so that was a little concerning and we were noticing her bright red cheeks, but with how sensitive her skin is, it doesn't take much to flare it up. We got back to the hotel and our sleepy girl was pretty lethargic. We laid her down on the bed to change her diaper and I noticed that her eczema looked awful. I had no bendryl with me (will I EVER learn???) and set her up to watch Caillou on the computer while Brian went to find a Walgreens to pick up some Benedryl. Little did we know what the rest of the night was going to bring!

No comments:

Post a Comment